18 June 2009

Auction Spotlight: Robert Kime

Ever since I saw his handiwork for the Prince of Wales at Clarence House in WoI, designer Robert Kime has been on my radar in a big way. The only problem - no sign! Perhaps Mr. Kime's clients are very private or maybe he isn't interested in courting publicity - but whatever the reason may be, there have been few further glimpses into Kime style...


...until last week, when the Christie's sales catalogue An English Look: Robert Kime, Piers von Westenholz, David Bedale and James Graham-Stewart landed on my desk. The other names are all antiques dealers, and browsing through the catalogue it is obvious that it is a single owner sale (whose identity is not revealed) with interior decoration by Kime.


For others also intrigued by Kime, here are a few of the rooms illustrated followed by my fantasy shopping list....






and a few things that caught my eye:

I am a textile fool! and Mr. Kime's liberal dosing of fabrics and "stuffs" worked in all manner of ways from all corners of the world and periods of history sends my heart into flutters. Above is one of a pair of cushions made of Queen Anne Wool Applique, lot 60, estimate £1,200 - £1,800


Halfsies, anyone?
lot 5, A PAIR OF SUSANI-UPHOLSTERED OTTOMAN STOOLS OF LARGE SIZE
BY ROBERT KIME, MODERN, £3,000 - £5,000

Doesn't this make you think of a platinum screen siren dressed in a satin bias-cut gown?
Lot 92, A CHINESE BLACK-LACQUER LOW TABLE
18TH-19TH CENTURY £500 - £800

Speaking to my inner wasp.
One of the top lots of the sale: lot 100, WILLIAM NEDHAM (BRITISH, FL.1823-1849)
A Mastiff, a Pomeranian, a Newfoundland and a Spaniel by a dark brown and a gray hunter in the grounds of Clopton House, Warwickshire
signed and dated 'W. NEDHAM/1838' (lower right)
oil on canvas, 54 x 93 in.
£60,000 - £80,000

a bit of fantasy for the garden

lot 325, A FRENCH ART NOUVEAU WROUGHT-IRON HEXAGONAL GAZEBO, CIRCA 1910
153 in. (389 cm.) high, £1,000 - £1,500

lot 383, TWO REGENCY STYLE OAK COLONADE BENCHES OF LARGE SIZE
BY SOANE BRITAIN, MODERN, £3,000 - £5,000


Click here to see the entire e-catalogue.

All photos courtesy of Christie's. Interior shots by Tessa Traeger.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fantastic. I adore auction catalogs - though I just had to move my collection up four flights - so I am less fond of them today. KDM

Emily Evans Eerdmans said...

KDM, I hear you! I used to move every year and my back can tell the story. I now only keep single owner sale catalogues - they document a collector's taste and become great historical documents and as their value tends to go up, they've also become part of my retirement fund!

Mrs. Blandings said...

What I really want is that cottage with the white painted paneling!

balsamfir said...

What a terrific collection(not necessarily collectibles) but it must have been fun to poke around that house.

home before dark said...

I'm thinking that dog painting will go for much more. What do you think? Glad to hear you have an alternative plan for the 401k. A really upscale version of under the mattress! Hope it appreciates and not just with dust bunnies!

Anonymous said...

EEE: You must own the Duke and Duchess of Windsor catalog . . .on my wish list. KDM

Emily Evans Eerdmans said...

KDM - on mine too! Alas, once had the chateau de Groussay in my hands, but didn't keep it... still lose sleep over that one....

cotedetexas said...

omfg - i am DYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!